Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
History of the Croft, Airton
#1
The terrace of 7 houses on the Croft in Airton was built in 1896 by William Illingworth of Newfield Hall who also provided the land on which the new Methodist Chapel was built in the same year. The terrace was built on the site of Croft House sometimes called Airton House which before it was demolished, had been occupied in 1891 by William Varley, a stone mason and his wife Grace. William died in 1892. The attached plan of the proposed new Chapel also shows Croft house before it was pulled down.

Has anyone more information about Croft House or its occupants prior to 1891?


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)